If you struggle with your weight, remarks such as “just eat less” or “exercise more” are less than helpful. We all know that if we consume less calories and burn more we lose weight. If it was that easy we would be a nation of slim people. This is where hypnotherapy for weight loss can make a real difference.
With the amount of overweight and clinically obese people at epidemic proportions, there has to be more to it than that.
So why do we over eat? The most common triggers I hear in my clinic are:
- Emotions such as sadness, anger, loneliness
- Just no control
- Once I start I can’t stop!
- Disliking yourself and/or appearance.
- Low self esteem
Many of my clients will give me a list of diets, weight loss groups and regimes they have tried over the years. Many have worked in the short term, but soon after stopping it, the weight piles on; often putting more weight on than was lost in the first place. This results in reduced self esteem which increases in over eating and bad habits. As the years pass, more and more weight is gained.
Why do diets and dieting groups not work? They are designed to only work when you are following their rules. Often these are unrealistic for the long term. Who could spend their whole life drinking shakes for breakfast and lunch? It is not maintainable over a long time. These diets don’t address the under lying issue of why we over eat. Because over eating is rarely about food it’s self but about what it represents; Comfort, filling an emotional void, relieving boredom to name a few.
Hypnotherapy helps weight loss here’s why
Any well trained hypnotherapist will work on a number or areas to aid you to reach the healthy weight for you. These are just some of the ways hypnotherapy helps weight loss.
- Firstly, they will assess what the underlying issue is that causes you to over eat. This will be addressed through a variety of techniques. The result should mean that the hold that was once so over powering will start to be controlled by you, regaining your natural ability to start recognising when you have had enough to eat.
- Secondly, the unconscious is always working to move you away from pain and towards pleasure, so your unconscious will learn new ways of filling your needs. These new ways will be worked out between you and your therapist because it has to work for you.
- Thirdly, coping mechanisms are taught to give you all the tools you need to reach your goals.
- All of this will be created to suit your needs and strengthened by times of deep relaxation. This allows your unconscious to really start making the changes needed.
The more committed you are and the more work you put into your changes the better the results. It’s like anything in life; the more you put in the more you get out.
Tips for weight loss
- Set a realistic goal. What weight do you want to be? Realistic is really vital as you need to be able to reach it.
- Set a time for when you want to reach your goal. Holiday, cousin Sarah’s wedding etc.
- Get a picture that represents our goal or write it down and pin it up where you can see it. The fridge is an excellent place.
- Get a weight loss partner or at least tell people what you are doing. This way you can have support and also people to turn to at moments of difficulty.
- Become aware of your triggers. Is it when you’re sad? If so, allow that sadness out. Have a cry if you want!
- And one really important thing- before you eat ask yourself if you are truly hungry. Drink some water and wait 30 minutes. Many of us misunderstand that our body is asking for water not food!
And if that doesn’t work then maybe consider contacting a hypnotherapist to help you become the person you want to be. If you live or work in the Kingston area why not call me at Hypnotherapy Kingston or contact me.